Tuesday, July 14, 2009

grrr~ backing up is not one of my talents

sigh. i've never been good at backing up my past blogs, works, etc. just by chance i was logging updating a link for my cat's page. yes my cat's! i tested the link and realized it's dead. so i did some checking up on my webpage accounts. which are all hosted by GEOCITIES - !! backed by Yahoo! i have 3 seperate accounts, and spanning over a decade (before I got into blogging, which by the way is infinitely easier than creating a webpage from scratch) i had lots of old webpages.

when i logged in-- words in red informed me that YAHOO 360 (yahoo's own blogging system) has closed on July 13, 2009- just yesterday. well thank goodness i didn't utilize that platform. and below that..... in red, a warning that geocities is closing on Oct 2009!! what?! wait.. so for some bizarre reason i went on a backing up frenzy. i haven't dealt with HTML in a LONG time, so it's prob not even worth my time, but for some reason, i wanted to keep my old 'blogs' and journal entries, what not. it was such a strong urge. but i didn't know how to catalog it all or....

anyway, i did the best i know how. i can only imagine when i have the time and energy to look up all the files and html i've backed up and NOT UNDERSTAND any of it at all!!! =(

but then i think about all the bloggings i do online?????? what if one day blogger decides to go offline? NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~ i actually copy-pasted my old bloggings onto a blogger page, which i named blog archives (and for my eyes only- for now)

i'm kinda freaking out. we have become so dependant on many different levels for many differnt things.

so what if i backed up everything (copy past say.. to a word document) ... but what if my computer crashes? should i burn it onto a disc?! oh my then i have to keep track of that disc, what if supergirl found it and chewed on it and damaged that disc? the scenario's are endless. how do anyone achieve a peace of mind these days????????????? THAT is the question.

msn has spaces. there is my space, facebook, friendster.... we are one person, but split all over the place. skydrive (msn)-- yeah but what IF skydrive crashes??????

**on a sad note, the account with geocities that i have used to host my cat's homepage. an entire webpage dedicated to them!!! -- was inactive!!! i had to reactivate it. but when i logged in, EVERYTHING WAS GONE, deleted...... and I HAVE NEVER backed up any of that stuff. i truly believe it'll always be there, always exist infinitely on the web. (yes, geocities was free, but still, but a wise musing- just because you pay for it, doesn't mean it'll always be there! businesses fail. just never thought it to be yahoo!) i have an image of what that page looks like as i've spent nights upon nights creating it forgoing any sleep! it's gone. sigh. and the worst thing is... i have yet to receive any one notification email from yahoo geocities! talk about no warning! =(

what is one to do?

help... (gasping weakly)

No comments:

Post a Comment